NSW Fire and Rescue - 2ST

Fire danger increases as things get cooler

fireandrescue.jpg

As the cooler months move in Fire and Rescue NSW is urging Coast and Highlands residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home.

They say the cooler months see a 10 percent increase in the number of home fires.. mostly due to heaters, electric blankets and the like.

Overall kitchen fires account for 45 per cent of all residential fires and 34 per cent of injuries in NSW.

Photo source: NSW Fire and Rescue web page

Warning - Didn't happen here - but it could!

warning-didnt-happen-here-but-it-could.jpg

At 4am Friday Fire and Rescue Busby were called to a fire that had occurred on a lounge. 

On arrival they found  a fire involving a mobile phone charging cable and the lounge it was sitting on had been extinguished by the resident but the house was still heavily smoke logged. 

The family had been alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm, mum and dad quickly extinguished the outbreak before evacuating with their 2 small children and ringing triple zero. 

Firefighters made sure the fire was completely extinguished, while the smoke cleared  quickly through open doors and windows and the air was checked for carbon monoxide with a gas detector. 

The family was cleared of any serious injury after being examined by paramedics. 

Remember: do not leave your mobile devices charging overnight sitting on lounges or beds and that only WORKING smoke detectors save lives.

Photo source: NSW Fire and Rescue

When bath time goes wrong

bath-time1.jpg

Bath time turned in to quite the ordeal for one little fella on Tuesday night. 

Owen was having his regular night time bath with the supervision of his mum, but it all went down the drain from there. 

As the bath emptied, he got his hand too close to the drain and his fingers got sucked into the drain holes!!

Crew from Fire and Rescue NSW Station 059 Eastwood had quite a task at hand to help free those tiny fingers but Owen took it all in his stride.

He dubbed himself "Drain Boy", entertained the crew with some very funny jokes and managed to stay calm while they worked.

It all ended well, with no damage to Drain Boy's fingers.

Photos source: NSW Fire and Rescue

bath-time2.jpg