Strike force investigators have charged two men with drugs, property and traffic offences, after recovering property worth $100,000 allegedly stolen from the state’s south.
Officers attached to The Hume and Lake Illawarra Police Districts established Strike Force Convene to investigate the alleged thefts since January this year, of several vehicles, steal from motor vehicles, and firearms offences from the Southern Highlands and Lake Illawarra areas.
Police initiated a pursuit of a stolen SUV shortly before 4.30pm Monday (27 March 2023), on Tourist Road, Robertson. The pursuit was terminated a short time later due to concerns about the manner of driving.
The vehicle was found abandoned in bushland near a ute reported stolen from Berkeley on Sunday 26 March 2023.
Following inquiries, officers from The Hume Police District – with assistance from Operational Support Group (OSG) officers – executed a search warrant at a home on McEvilly Road, Robertson, about 2.40pm the following day (Tuesday 28 March 2023).
Two men, aged 18 and 28, were arrested after being found in a shed on the property.
During the search, police allegedly uncovered two small hydroponic cannabis set ups and cannabis plants.
Police also seized a Toyota Corolla allegedly stolen from Jamberoo, four motorcycles – one of which was reported stolen from Mittagong on Sunday March 19 – a caravan and trailer reported stolen from Tullimbar on Monday 20 March, and four new generators, as well as a firearm scope, butterfly knife, mobile phones and several number plates.
Both men were taken to Southern Highlands Police Station where the younger man was charged with 20 offences,
- Take and drive conveyance without consent of owner (five counts)
- Enter enclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse
- Steal motor vehicle (two counts)
- Goods in personal custody suspected being stolen (motor vehicle)
- Goods in personal custody suspected being stolen (not motor vehicle (six counts)
- Use class A vehicle with unauthorised number plate affixed
- Enter building/land with intent to commit indictable offence
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive recklessly
- Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit, and,
- Cultivate prohibited plant.
The older man was charged with eight offences,
- Be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner (four counts)
- Steal motor vehicle
- Dishonestly obtain property by deception (two counts), and,
- Enter building/land with intent to commit indictable offence.
Both men appeared in Picton Local Court yesterday (Wednesday 29 March 2023), where they were formally refused bail to appear in Moss Vale Local Court on Tuesday 11 April 2023.