Shoalhaven News

Coroner finds toddler death could have been prevented

http 2Fmedia2F20182F122F032F202F132FNOWRA2

A Coroner has found a 17-month-old toddler died due to the failure of doctors to treat a bacterial infection.

In March 2016, Troy Almond was taken to the emergency ward at Shoalhaven Hospital by his mother Kim Macklin.

Troy died within 24 hours of been discharged, the Coroner finding he died as a result of the doctor who examined him failing to identify a sepsis infection.

During the inquest, the doctor apologised to the family saying he'd made a mistake.

The Illawarra and Shoalhaven Local Health District has made policy changes since the tragedy.

Photo credit: 9 News