Shoalhaven News

House fires in the Shoalhaven and Illawarra

174250557_2849109228685206_1037508361338390317_n.jpg

As we head into winter a timely reminder about ensuring our smoke alarms are working.

Early Sunday morning Shoalhaven Heads RFS was called to a fire in a property on Coolangatta Road.

They say the house was full of smoke when they arrived, but all the residents were accounted for.

Breathing gear was needed to enter the home.. and the cause of the outbreak was found to be on a stove top in the kitchen.

The house was saved, with only damage to the kitchen.

The residents say they were alerted when the smoke alarm went off while they were sleeping.

173156757_3906163799450935_6734743178405659592_n.jpg

It was a similar story Saturday night on Saddleback Mountain.

Several RFS crews were called to a house fire after a smoke alarm alerted the occupants.

The outbreak stemmed from a heat build-up in the chimney and was able to be contained to the hallway.

Saddleback.jpg

Gerringong, Foxground and Jamberoo RFS all responded and say without the alarm crucial minutes would have been lost and they would have been faced with a much larger fire and alot more damage.

Photos: RFS

 

Tags: RFS, Saddleback Mountain, Coolangatta Road