The redeveloped Shoalhaven Hospital will include a new acute care building connected to the existing hospital, according to the masterplan for the $438 million upgrade.
South Coast MP Shelley Hancock said the upgrade would provide a significantly larger hospital precinct with new facilities including cardiology, mental health and aged care wards, more operating theatres and a new emergency department.
The Master Plan for the redevelopment has been released, giving the community its first look at the state-of the-art health services it can look forward to accessing close to home.
"Shoalhaven residents will have a significantly larger hospital precinct with enhanced health services close to home so they won’t have to leave the region for the majority of their treatment and care," Mrs Hancock said.
"In addition to fantastic new facilities such as cardiology, mental health and aged care wards, more operating theatres and a new emergency department, there will also be greater access to more specialised staff, equipment and technology."
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said bringing the next generation of world-class health care services to regional communities like Shoalhaven to improve health outcomes was a key focus for the NSW Government.
"This $438 million Shoalhaven Hospital redevelopment will provide enormous benefits to locals who will have easy access to some of the best health services and specialists in the state," Mr Hazzard said.
The master plan will guide the final design of the hospital and the scope of the new and expanded services including:
* a new cardiology inpatient ward, close observation unit and cardiac catheterisation laboratory
* a new emergency department to increase emergency care capacity
* a new intensive care unit and state-of-the-art ward
* MRI service, nuclear medicine department and interventional radiology
* two new medical wards and expanded outpatient clinics
* additional operating theatres, new overnight surgical ward, and a dedicated day surgery zone
* a new acute mental health ward
* a new maternity clinic and Midwifery Group Practice
* a new paediatric unit
* aged care ward with more beds and expanded outpatient clinics.
The existing hospital will also undergo refurbishments to allow for new and expanded services.
As part of the master plan the southern end of Nowra Park will be retained as greenspace for everyone to enjoy, including the large blackbutt tree, which is proposed to become a key feature due to its significance to the community. 0
Health Infrastructure and Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District are on track to commence work on the project early next year.
Yesterday’s announcement will be followed by a comprehensive planning and design process that will include representation from staff and the community.
For more information visit www.ISLHD.health.nsw.gov.au
images: NSW Health