A man who’s never held a drivers licence has been charged after an alleged pursuit involving a stolen car in the Southern Highlands.
Around 8:20am on Saturday, Traffic and Highway Patrol clocked a Holden Crewman travelling at 156km’h in 110 zone along the Hume Highway at Mittagong.
A pursuit was initiated but was terminated a short time later due to safety concerns.
The vehicle eventually stopped on the exit ramp to the Illawarra Highway at Sutton Forest.
The driver, a 29-year-old man was arrested underwent breath and drug tests, both of which returned negative results.
He was taken to Southern Highlands Police Station, before being taken to Bowral Hospital for assessment under police guard.
The 29 year old was taken back to the station and charged with the following offences:
* Class A m/v exceed speed > 30 km/h – Lidar,
* Receive etc property stolen outside NSW,
* Goods in personal custody suspected being stolen (motor vehicle),
* Police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously, and,
* Never licensed person drive vehicle on road – first offence.
* He was refused bail to appear in Campbelltown Local Court today (Thursday 23 March 2023).
Checks have revealed the vehicle was reported stolen from Victoria on February 22 2023.
Image: NSW Police